PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CAREERS IN RACING
What does this policy cover?
This policy describes how The British Horseracing Authority Limited (also referred to as "the BHA", "we" or "us") will make use of your data in order to manage and administer the www.careersinracing.com website (our site) and the Job Board.
It also describes your data protection rights, including a right to object to some of the processing which the BHA carries out. More information about your rights, and how to exercise them, is set out in the “What rights do I have?” section.
What information do we collect?
We collect and process personal data about you when you:
- fill in your details on our site, register for our newsletter or job alerts and participate in any interactive functions on our site or when you report a problem with our site;
- fill in your details or register for our newsletter or job alerts via any of our landing pages;
- fill in your details or register for our newsletter or job alerts using a Racing to School contact form or other such contact form such as feedback forms provided at training providers and equine colleges;
- enter one of our competitions;
- otherwise provide your details to us by phone, e-mail or in writing.
The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, age bracket, date of birth and the information included in your CV.
We do not collect any information from third parties in respect of the use of our site or the Careers in Racing initiative.
We recognise that our site may be used by children between the ages of thirteen and sixteen in order to find out more about careers in racing and how to gain work experience in the industry. However, you should not register your personal data for the Job Board if you are under sixteen years of age. If you wish to apply for a job advertised on the Job Board and you are under sixteen years of age, please contact email@example.com and we may be able to help you make contact with an employer, provided that we are satisfied that you have the consent of a parent/ guardian.
How do we use this information, and what is the legal basis for this use?
We process this personal data for the following purposes:
- As required by the BHA to conduct our business and pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
- we will use your information to respond to any comments or complaints you may send us;
- we monitor use of our websites and online services, and use your information to help us monitor, improve and protect our products, content, services and websites, both online and offline;
- we will use your information to send you marketing where we don’t need your consent- via post, phone or targeted direct marketing via the internet, such as through social media sites;
- we will use data in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation); and
- Where you give us consent:
- we place cookies and use similar technologies in accordance with our Cookies Policy and the information provided to you when those technologies are used;
- to provide email alerts about jobs in which you have expressed an interest;
- to provide you with newsletters for which you have chosen to subscribe;
- to provide you with information about training and careers opportunities in the horseracing industry where you have subscribed to this function;
- to administrate our competitions; and
- on other occasions where we ask you for consent, we will use the data for the purpose which we explain at that time.
Wherever we rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above. To withdraw your consent at any time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or activate the unsubscribe function on an email.
Who will we share this data with, where and when?
We will share your information with data processors that provide IT services to the BHA, for the limited purpose of hosting, supporting and maintaining their software.
We also share information with our other data processors, who carry out services such as: digital consultancy; user experience architecture; hosting our email databases; and sending out service emails on our behalf. One such provider is located outside the EEA in Australia, and we ensure adequate protection through the use of model contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of these clauses by getting in contact with the BHA using the contract details set out below.
We will share your information with social media sites in order to carry out targeting marketing.
Personal data may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws.
Information that you share in public areas of the site or make visible in the CV or profile database may be accessed, used and stored by third parties. We take no responsibility for third party use of your personal data which you have shared in this way.
What rights do I have?
You have the right to ask us for a copy of your personal data; to correct, delete or restrict (stop any active) processing of your personal data; and to obtain the personal data you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format, and to ask us to share (port) this data to another controller.
In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the data to meet a contractual or other legal requirement).
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping.
To exercise any of these rights, you can get in touch with us – or our data protection officer – using the details set out below. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority where you live, work or where you believe a breach may have occurred. This is likely to be the Information Commissioner’s Office in the UK.
How do I get in touch with you, or your data protection officer?
We hope that we can satisfy queries you may have about the way we process your data. If you have any concerns about how we process your data, or would like to opt out of direct marketing, you can get in touch at email@example.com or by writing to either the Head of Legal or Data Protection Office c/o British Horseracing Authority, 75 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6LS.
How long will you retain my data?
Where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, we do this for as long as your consent is active. For registrations to the Job Board, we will process your personal data until you ask to be withdrawn.