Visitor Services Team Leader
The National Horse Racing Museum
12-month contract, with the expectation of renewal
NHRM, The National Horse Racing Museum, was officially opened by HM The Queen in November 2016. It is the product of a £19 million conversion of this historic site into a major destination tourist venue.
NHRM is based in the Home of Horseracing, Newmarket, and presents the heritage of horseracing across the UK – one of the country’s oldest and best-attended sports – and world-class examples of British sporting art in an engaging, compelling and entertaining manner which cannot be found elsewhere. The result is a rich and fascinating narrative of a sport which attracts devotees from all backgrounds and which has, since the seventeenth century, attracted a far higher degree of royal patronage than any other national sport. Fittingly, the museum is now based in the former royal palace founded by King Charles II as a centre for horseracing.
Our Mission is to promote the sport of horseracing and the enjoyment of British sporting art by bringing the culture and heritage of horseracing, together with an understanding of the racing industry, to a wider general audience.
Having relaunched the museum following lockdown, we are now looking to significantly expand our visibility and our audience and to become one of the region’s best-loved visitor attractions.
2 The Role
NHRM are seeking an experienced Visitor Services Team Leader (VSTL) with demonstrable experience of achieving excellent service standards, managing and motivation Front-of-House staff and exceeding customer expectations. Candidates should ideally have experience in museums and galleries or in a comparable environment in the cultural or heritage sectors.
The VSTL will report to the Director of Finance and Resources, and will be based at the museum site in Newmarket.
4 Key Responsibilities
The post-holder will be required to:
• Duty-manage the museum on a rostered basis across the museum site, deploying both paid staff and volunteers as appropriate
• Duty-manage out-of-hours private and public functions
• Lead the management of emergency and evacuation situations
• Have an in-depth knowledge of all relevant health and safety requirements, including Covid-19 safeguards, and review and update these constantly
• Be familiar with national standards of collection care and security and of the environmental controls necessary to apply GIS
• Display a keen commercial awareness which will help cultivate a sales culture in the team and help the museum to fully exploit its current and potential income streams
• Appraise and support the Visitor Services team, helping them to attain their professional and personal objectives
• Assist the senior team in reporting regularly to the Arts Council, the NLHF and other key funders.
5 Key Skills & Characteristics:
Essential qualities for the post-holder should include…
• Excellent communications and motivational skills
• Strong administrative ability
• The ability to make decisions and to delegate
• The ability to interact with people from all backgrounds
• Good IT skills
• Proven experience in data collection, management and insight
• Experience of managing budgets
6 Terms & Conditions of Employment
Salary: c.£20,000 (depending on experience)
Term: initially a 12-month contract, with the expectation of renewal. This includes a three-month probation period.
Hours of work: 40hrs per week. Some evening and weekend work will also be required.
Annual Leave: 28 days including public holidays
Notice Period: following probation period one month on either side
Other Benefits: contributory pension scheme
7 Application Process
To apply for this exciting and challenging role please submit:
• A full Curriculum Vitae
• A letter of application, no longer than 2 A4 pages, explaining your aptitude and experience related to the skills outlined in this job description
• The names and full contact details of three referees. References will not be sought without prior agreement
• Please indicate if there are any restrictions on you taking up employment in the UK and, if so, provide details
Application Deadline: 9am Monday 24 August 2020 (please note interviews may proceed sooner)
Please mention careersinracing in your application when responding to this job advert
Please login or register for an account to apply for jobs:
This job expires in 3 weeks, on 24th August 2020.
Please ensure you are logged in before applying for jobs.