Board Member, Arabian Racing Organisation (ARO)
Arabian Racing Organisation
An opportunity for new Board Members of the Arabian Racing Organisation (ARO)
ARO is a private company (03902941), limited by guarantee and founded in 1999. ARO is the sole authority for Purebred Arabian Racing in the UK.
ARO is embarking on a journey which will see the full integration of Purebred Arabian Racing with Thoroughbred Racing in the UK. It is a unique opportunity to play a leading role in this process. ARO is seeking to appoint a small number of new Board Members with the specific purpose of supporting the delivery of Purebred Arabian Racing’s challenging Development Plan over the next three years. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Board at a time of major change.
Core principles for Board Members
• Have, and must accept, ultimate responsibility for directing ARO’s affairs, ensuring it is solvent, well-run and delivering the outcomes for which it was set up;
• should focus on ARO’s Development Plan and strategic direction and avoid becoming involved in day-to-day operational decisions and matters; and
• are expected to adhere to the principles for holders of public office i.e. selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
We are looking for Board Members who will be willing to:
• attend ARO Board meetings and other ARO meetings as appropriate;
• scrutinise Board papers and other communications;
• lead Board discussions on matters relating to their own area(s) of expertise or knowledge;
• provide guidance on those areas of the Purebred Arabian Racing Development Plan that relate directly to their own area(s) of expertise;
• identify, and liaise with, other stakeholders within the UK and, where appropriate, internationally who have the knowledge, expertise or contacts to support the implementation of the Development Plan;
• participate in, and lead where appropriate, any Board working groups created to discuss areas of the Development Plan relevant to their own area(s) of expertise
• Knowledge of horseracing in the UK is essential but knowledge of Purebred Arabian Racing is desirable but not essential
• Ability to provide the level of commitment and enthusiasm required for the role
• Ability to work as a team
• Prior experience of committee/trustee/Board work desirable but not essential
• Leadership skills exercised through a period of change
• Ability to be strategic and forward looking and the ability to think creatively
• Willingness to be pro-active in helping achieve ARO’s mission and vision
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• We are looking for people with knowledge or experience in one or more of the following areas
o The Betting industry
o Media rights
o Sponsorship/Fund raising
o Horseracing (particularly Purebred Arabian Racing) in the Middle East
• The Board meets monthly – this is currently by means of Zoom meetings
• Board meetings and discussions are important, but other contact (usually electronic or by telephone) will be necessary between meetings
Please login or register for an account to apply for jobs:
This job expires in 2 weeks, on 31st May 2021.
Please ensure you are logged in before applying for jobs.